Bernard Kinsey met Shirley Pooler in 1963, when they were both students at Florida A&M University, after a protest to integrate the movie theaters in Tallahassee. Years later, when their son Khalil was born, Bernard and Shirley made a plan — they wanted him to understand where he came from, and where his ancestors came from. So they decided to become detectives, uncovering the history of the Black experience in America.
Bernard, Shirley, and Khalil’s book is The Kinsey Collection: Shared Treasures of Bernard and Shirley Kinsey.
For a transcript of this episode, send us an email with the episode name.
- Better Help Get 10 percent off your first month with discount code criminal at BetterHelp.com/thisislove
- Indeed Get a free $75 credit to boost the visibility of your job post at Indeed.com/THISISLOVE
- Progressive Get your quote online at Progressive.com and see how much you could be saving
- Purple Go to Purple.com/thisislove10, and use promo code thisislove10. For a limited time you’ll get 10% off any order of $200 or more
- Quip Go to quip.com/thisislove to get your first refill free.
- Toyota Visit BuyAToyota.com to locate a dealer, search our inventory, and find all our current offers!